We have an exciting opportunity for a Software Engineering Manager that has strong experience managing teams that deliver cloud-based SaaS solutions.
As a key member of the Engineering Team, you’ll report directly to the Head of Engineering. This is a full time, onsite, opportunity in our Glasgow office.
Software Engineering with our client follows an agile Kanban process within a squads and tribes model.
You will be working within a tribe consisting of multiple squads split between the UK and Australia that work towards a shared roadmap. Each squad consists of 3 Software Engineers, a Quality Analyst, a Product Owner and is led by an Engineering Lead/Squad Lead that will report directly to you.
Role covers key areas responsible for:
- Management of tribe resources
- Planning of all tribe work
- Communication between Engineering Management, Product Management and the tribe
Responsibilities & Duties
- Manage, coach and mentor squad lead within your tribe.
- Participate in probation reviews and yearly performance appraisals for tribe members.
- Recruit new staff for the tribe.
- Conduct regular 1-on-1s with squad leads.
- Participate in job interviews.
- Manage tribe workload through roadmap planning and resource assignment.
- Work closely with Product Owner on planning and progress tracking
- Monitor squad member work logging and development time optimization
- Track and report on squad progress towards the Product Roadmap to Product Owner
- Track and report on squad member performance to Head of Engineering
- Foster training and improvement for tribe members through sourcing of education opportunities
- Participate in Management Meeting activities and reporting as directed by the Head of Engineering.
- Participate in cross-tribe planning and coordination activities with other tribe leaders.
Qualifications & Experience
- 5-7 years leading or managing a software development team.
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal skills.
- Explaining technical information to non-technical people.
- Dealing with high-concurrency environments and the primitives used to manage them.
- Understanding and negotiating trade-offs in software requirements and design
- Collaborating, analysing, documenting and converging on software design in a large group.
- Building complex systems using modern programming languages, agile practices and distributed or cloud-based architectures.
- Coaching agile practices.
- Identifying talent to grow the team.
To apply, please click the link or call David Mains on 0141 406 5468