This is without question, one of the most unique short term contracts in Scotland! Our client has a requirement for someone to assist in the development of a retail and commercial strategy for a major operator in the transport sector. The purpose of the role will be to define and deliver a proposition in the following areas: a range of branded merchandise, gifts and souvenirs and other retail options which can be marketed across a variety of channels, including online. Someone with experience of small retail footprint operations, would be ideal. The key elements of the role are:
- Through careful research of consumer trends, customer feedback, analysis of EPOS and market intelligence, specify the appropriate items to retail, such as merchandise, gifts and souvenirs and potentially other retail opportunities.
- Identify the optimum product placement and merchandising for each of these area across the various retail channels including E-commerce.
- Lead the specification of the facilities, merchandising and service levels to deliver the expected service and work with other functions to achieve them
- Contribute to the ongoing discussions with Service Delivery about continual improvement of the customer experience with regard to retail
- Develop a promotions calendar
- Undertake regular pricing review and benchmarking exercises and produce recommendations
- Lead the planning and management of all retail buying and logistics across all sales platforms
- In conjunction with Procurement, develop supplier relationships and set policies for the management of inventory planning, stock holding, call off and logistics for all outlets across the network, utilising the EPOS system to its maximum potential
- Develop the EPOS system to ensure it provides appropriate support for inventory planning, stock holding and replenishment and provides robust management information about sales achieved across all lines
- Lead the management of retail volumes, revenues and profit across all sales platforms
- Grow revenue and profit in retail and minimise waste / write off.
- Develop the framework and facilities for the fulfilment of on-line purchases and establish customer service policies and procedures including: customer queries and / or complaints
- Review performance against plan regularly and formulate action plans to address variance
- Works towards increasing proportion of locally sourced retail products and reduction of environmental impact throughout the retail supply chain
- Clear plan to achieve additional revenue and profit through the continued growth of retail sales
- Contribution to the overall experience for all customer groups through the identification and provision of attractive and / or useful retail range
- Achievement of revenue and profit against plan
- Development of the transition to on-line customer interface across the business
- Improved customer advocacy and loyalty along with stakeholder satisfaction
- Effective management of key supplier / partner relationships
- Progress towards commitment to source products locally
- Weekly, monthly and quarterly reports highlighting performance against the sales plan.
You will be educated to degree level and/or relevant qualification and/or 5+ years’ experience in a relevant retail environment and demonstrate the following skills & experience
- Experience of identifying appropriate retail range
- Experience of utilisation of data to inform decisions – EPOS, market intelligence
- Ability to promote and drive sales through a variety of retail channels
- Experience of setting a marketing communication brief to promote retail sales
- Ability to develop effective relationships with suppliers
- Ability to negotiate contracts with suppliers
- Experience of managing customer related enquiries / queries / problems in a retail environment
- Experience of managing retail products over their life cycle and identify when a product should be removed / replaced
- Proven experience of retail buying, inventory and logistics management
- Proven experience of establishing and managing an on-line retail operation
- Ability to manage projects and plan for contingencies
- Ability to set challenging targets
- Ability to monitor performance against plan and take corrective action as appropriate
You will possess the ability to:
- Work co-operatively and supportively with colleagues, developing positive, open working relationships
- Come up with innovative, creative and imaginative solutions.
- Adopt a methodical approach to work
- Anticipate, meet and exceed the needs of customers
- Use judgement to take quick and confident decisions
- Work in an environment which requires excellence in safety, operations and customer service.
- Challenge the status quo and suggest alternative approaches
- Influence and persuade with convincing commercial information
- Focus on developments and trends in the travel and retail industries.
This is a pretty comprehensive list of talents and attributes, but if you feel you are close to being a good match, please send your CV to Yvonne Hughes and we can discuss the background to the role and how this position may suit your experience.